Dynamic Guidance And Advocacy Throughout Northern Virginia

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  → 
  5. Consumer Protection
  6.  → Repossession & Deficiency Defense

Manassas Repossession Lawyer

When you finance or lease a car, the bank or creditor has the right to repossess the car if you are late on your payments or default on the contract. After the car is repossessed, it is sold at auction. Consumers may believe their troubles are over at this point, and that they will no longer have to deal with creditor harassment. However, the creditor, bank or lender then has the right to sue the consumer for a deficiency judgment to recuperate the difference between the auction price and the remaining loan amount.

If your car has been repossessed, or if you fear repossession will happen soon, you should seek help from an experienced consumer protection attorney. Call our firm today at 703-659-0188 to schedule your initial consultation.

What is a deficiency?

Thomas R. Breeden has been protecting the rights of consumers since 1991. He is well-versed in consumer protection law. He can help you understand the problem you are facing and talk to you about your options. Even if your vehicle has been sold you may still owe money to the creditor/lender. A deficiency is the amount that you still owe on your auto loan after the car has been repossessed, sold at auction and the amount paid to the creditor. For example, if you owe $3,500 on your car, the creditor will not necessarily sell your car for $3,500. If the car is sold for $2,500, the deficiency is $1,000, and you are still on the hook for that amount. Additionally, there may be expenses and fees for the repossession.

Our firm explores all avenues for deficiency defense. The creditor is required to follow a standard repossession procedure. Failure to follow that procedure – such as seizing your car from a locked garage – may give you grounds to contest the deficiency. You may also have grounds if the creditor did not sell your car in a “commercially reasonable manner.”

The law offices of Thomas R. Breeden, P.C. can inform you of your rights and options. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.